07 April 2013

Granny Squares

"Granny squares are the easiest thing in the world to make." I kept reading variations of that sentence in so many books, and I know that for many people grannies are almost synonymous with "crochet." I was ready for a simple project, so I decided to whip out a few squares. NOT!! I'm a Granny Idiot--no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it right! I must've watched half a dozen YouTube videos before I finally had an "a-ha" moment!


If you're curious (or if you've struggled with grannies), the site that made the most sense to me was Craftyminx, who has a video crochet school. All free, all fabulous! The tutorials start here, with the granny square in Lesson 17. I'm sure her directions aren't very different than anyone else's, but for whatever reason, I finally was able to make a granny square!



I did four rounds on each granny, then used the join-as-you-go method with the dark
 blue yarn. I used all Vanna's Choice for this project, and tried to mix up the colors best I could.



Kind of pretty, if I do say so myself!



No comments:

Post a Comment